Wednesday, August 10, 2011

apartment project -- choosing color

After slathering the Living Room woodwork and trim with a shinny dose of white paint, it was time to finalize a color for the walls. I knew that I wanted to stay true to the era of the space (a pre-war) with a shade of gray, yet something warm and not too dark but with enough contrast to make all the new white pop... because in my opinion, if you have the charm, play it up! (The architectural kind, that is :)

In pursuit of the perfect shade, I taped up 50 different paint chips, hemmed and hawed, bought a few different samples and tested swatches in different lighting (daylight, shade, evening, tungsten etc etc). So what color did we choose? Drum roll please.... we decided to go with Benjamin Moore's Edgecomb Gray HC-173!














Here are a few snaps before our furniture was moved in...

Look at how the white pops! It's a beautiful color and one I would absolutely recommend to try, constantly changing tonalities (as you can see above) and a perfect example of how Benjamin Moore knocks it out of the park with their grays. And who knew? Edgecomb Gray, as I just found, is a popular shade among other design enthusiasts...




































One rule I like to stick by when choosing color, especially in older homes where each room is divided (vs an open living plan) is to use the same color story throughout. I don't believe dark colors make a space feel small, but I do believe that contrast does, ie: adjacent rooms with contrasting colors break up the space and therefore make the entire space feel smaller.

So to make our space feel larger, I'll also be painting the adjacent Dining Room the same gray color to visually create one cohesive living space rather than two distinct spaces.

How do you choose color?

PS: Since these photos were taken, a few changes have already been made including the front door and a new light fixture...


2 comments:

  1. The edgecomb looks like a perfect match for the space.Am also thinking about using this color however have been warned about its undertones which in natural light make it turn a sort of yellow-beige-Have you noticed this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a
    friend who had been doing a little research on this. And he actually
    ordered me dinner due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him...

    lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks
    for spending the time to talk about this topic here on your website.


    My web site :: marriage therapist sacramento

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...