Robyn Moreno was our awesome online talent and she brought so much enthusiasm to the project! Love her! You can watch the full video HERE.
The day started at 4am... eeek, that's early! We filmed directly outside Fox Studios, here I am surrounded by props, coffee in hand, trying to look awake!
Lands End (who knew they had an awesome selection of decor?), so we had a great base of product to work with. I pulled colors and patterns from the Lands End items for the rest of the space; hot pinks, navy, yellow and purple.
One of my favorite DIYs we did was this instagram art wall. No need to cover your walls with store bought art if you have an instagram account! There are many online resources for printing your instagrams, one being Printsagram where you can have twenty-four 4x4 inch square instargras printed for $12. We took fun washi tape and outlined groupings with borders. This tape is all over the blog-world, but it's great too because it doesn't damage walls. You can find this at any craft store, I found this selection at Target.
Adding a few low maintenance plants like cacti and succulents can make an institutional space feel much more homey. As do picture frames! I also used inexpensive Ball jars to store pens, paper clips, rubber bands etc.
Then Fox and Friend's newscaster, Anna Kooiman, arrives and the countdown begins...
Our lovely producer snapped this pic of the team. I couldn't have done this without my AH-MAZ-ING friend and assistant Sarah LoCascio. I will be the first one to tell you that I can not do what I do without a team of people I can trust.
- Pull color for accessories from the main focus of the room (often in a dorm room, it's the bedding)
- Look for more sophisticated pieces that can transition into an apartment
- Have fun with lighting! Spray the frame of a lampshade with a bright color and clip on some photos
- Art doesn't need to be expenisive, print your instagrams and hang on walls, put into frames etc.
- Use washi tape to outline photos
- Bulletin boards aren't just for notes, use them as another surface to add color/texture -- add some more washi tape!
- Easy plants like succulents/cacti require little care and can make a space feel more alive/homey
- Use inexpensive clear jars to store office supplies
- Store things in cool woven baskets instead of plastic bins